Quick reference guides for JS8Call
How do I call CQ?
Then Click Send (The send button will show you how many frames it will send)
How do I reply to a CQ Call?
So you’ve spotted a station calling CQ and want to reply? Great, communicating is what JS8Call is all about! Right Click on the callsign either on the Activity pane, or the heard stations pane which will select the callsign (the row will turn blue) then select the “Directed to <CALLSIGN>” option (where <CALLSIGN> will be replaced by whatever one you picked).
Now click the “REPLY” menu option, what happens next is that JS8Call Will look in your settings and get the text you put in the Reply Message text box, this is HW CPY? by default but you can change it to anything you want. Remember, you don’t need to enter your callsign – JS8Call will add this for you. If you want to add some more to the reply go ahead and enter it now, once you are done hit the send button.
Thats it, your message is on the way!
What is the AUTO button for?
if OH8STN has auto enabled his FT8Call will send back the signal report
OH8STN: M0IAX SNR +04
So if you want to respond to commands from other stations then enable AUTO, or disable it to prevent your station replying.
Whats is the BEACON button for?
Whats that "lightning bolt" ⌁ at the end of the message?
What are Directed Messages?
M0IAX? – request signal report from M0IAX
KN4CRD$ – request KN4CRD to tell you what stations he can hear (replies with the top 4 ranked by SNR)
OH8SHN!73 THANKS FOR THE QSO – displays the message in a message box in OH8STN’s FT8Call window
- ? – What is my SNR?
- @ – What is your QTH (station location)?
- & – What is your QTC (station message)?
- % – What is your station power?
- $ – What stations are you hearing? (Will transmit the top 4 ranked by SNR)
- QSO [CALLSIGN]? – Can you communicate directly with CALLSIGN?
- If the station ACKs, they will send back the SNR and the last time the callsign was heard at their station
- |message – Please ACK and retransmit the following message
- The message is retransmitted by the receiving station verbatim with the addition of “DE [CALLSIGN]” added to the end of the message…meaning you do not need to add it to your message.
- !message – Please display this message in a alert dialog and ACK if acknowledged
- #message – Please ACK if you receive this message in its entirety
- AGN? – Have the station automatically retransmit their last message
- QTC – Send station message
- QTH – Send location message
- GRID – Send a long-form grid locator (to be spotted on a map via PSKReporter & APRS-IS)
- QSL? – Did you receive my last transmission?
- QSL – I received your last transmission
- YES – I confirm your last inquiry
- NO – I negative confirm your last inquiry
- HW CPY? – How do you copy?
- RR – Roger. Received. I copy.
- FB – Fine Business
- 73 – I send my Best Regards / End of Contact
You can also type any of these commands into the message box directly once you know them.
What is ALLCALL for?
For example, lets say you’ve been listening for a while and you are waiting to chat to your buddy but his callsign hasn’t appeared in your heard list. Here you can right click on ALLCALL select Directed to ALLCALL->BEACON REQ [CALLSIGN]?.
once selected the text will be put in the message pane, now just replace the highlighted text ([CALLSIGN]) with your buddy’s callsign
ALLCALL BEACON REQ KN4CRD?
Now click send
Once the message has sent, if you are being heard and stations have AUTO enabled stations who have KN4CRD in their heard list will reply to you, you could then send a relay message through any one of them!
Some options in the menu are disabled as they are not relevant to ALLCALL, so try right clicking on one of those stations that sent you a reply and send them a message or use the relay to send to your buddy.
Can I change the order of the Stations in my JS8Call heard list?
Yes you can, simply right click on a station (or all call) in the list and select an option in the sort by list:
How do I install JS8Call on my Mac?
Firstly download the installation package from the download link.
Once downloaded open a finder window and go to where the file was downloaded to (Usually “Downloads”)
Double Click on this file and it will open the terms and conditions. Click Agree to continue
This will open a finder view of the installation package
If you have not installed JS8Call or WSJT-X before you will need configure some shared memory, if you have installed and successfully run either application you can skip this step. (Please read the ReadMe.txt file for ,more info – this is just a quick start guide)
First Drag the file named sysctl.conf from the installation package window to your Mac Desktop
Next you will need to open a terminal window and enter some commands
To do this, open Launchpad and in the find box type terminal and press enter.
now you need to enter the commands that are in the ReadMe file. Enter them exactly or it won’t work correctly.
sudo cp $HOME/Desktop/sysctl.conf /etc/
sudo chmod 664 /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
Now you need to restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
Once you have restarted then open a terminal window and enter
sysctl -a | grep sysv.shm
shmmax 14680064, if not then please refer to the ReadMe.
Now all that’s left to do is to Open the insallation package again and drag the JS8Call icon to your Applications folder
This will copy the app to your Mac and you will be able to find it in your Applications Directory in finder.